Sunday, September 5, 2010

To Stick It or Not to Stick It

Yesterday afternoon I came down with a nasty migraine and decided to go for a walk to clear my head of it. I pulled into this big empty parking lot by the trail I like to mosey down and there was this silver Honda doing circles and then parking and then doing more circles and I was like, WTF? I sat in my car and ate my delicious 7-11 Hot Dog before setting out on my walk, and it occurred to while observing this car jerk in motion every now and then, that the guy was trying to teach the girl how to drive a standard. I went for my walk and when I got back, they were still doing circles. Finally, she had enough courage and practise to actually pull out onto a real street and give it a whirl.

I certainly can empathize with this young lady. When I was working my first radio job up in Peace River, I didn't have a car. I started the process of looking to buy one, but didn't have enough clout on my own, so the sweet elderly couple who's basement I lived in, co-signed a car loan for me. I bussed it down to Calgary and bought my first car - a green dodge shadow, which was also a standard. I don't know why I bought a stick, I had never really driven one before! So here I am on a Friday afternoon, driving a standard for the first time, on McLeod Trail during rush hour, stalling and starting and embarrassing myself to the maximum. You can imagine my sigh of relief when I made it out of city limits and was on the open highway back to Peace River.

To this day, I've never owned an automatic and would never look at buying a vehicle that's not a standard. Truthfully, that's in part why I went away from GM vehicles. They don't make many anymore that aren't automatic in their line of products. So I guess from now on I'll stick to the German das Autos or go over to the Japanese, should they ever stop recalling their cars BURN!

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment