Sunday, September 19, 2010

Disney's the Word Bird!

When I was a kid, I loved Sunday nights. We lived north of town with an abundant selection of maybe three channels on our farmer vision TV network. That was all we needed though, because among those 3 was CBC. That meant Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday nights and Walt Disney on Sunday nights.

Sundays were a tradition. We'd start supper at about 5 and if we were good, dad would let us eat in the living room and watch Disney, which as you probably remember, was on at six. It would be on till seven, then we'd clean up from supper, run a tub, have a bath, and go to bed for a new week of school.

Many times though, it didn't feel like only an hour of Disney was enough. It was captivating and magical and when it was done, I always wanted more. It didn't matter how many times I'd seen Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland, Bambi, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Cinderella or 101 Dalmations...I could watch them over and over again. To this day, Mary Poppins is still one of my favorites and who can forget the Siamese cats from Lady and the Tramp? And nothing against Johnny Depp, but Disney's "Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad" will always be the best take on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Every Sunday around Halloween, I'd be glued to the TV for it. And how many times have you cried watching a Disney show or movie? Their knack of being able to touch on emotions has spanned from the era of Old Yeller all the way up to watching a little Simba turn into a Lion King. And something else that Disney afforded people, was the chance for parents and kids to watch and enjoy something together.

Not having kids, I'm not sure what they watch on Sunday nights nowadays. But knowing how much my nephews and niece like Mickey Mouse and anything with a princess in it, I feel like they're missing out on a great tradition because I'm sure they'd love six o'clock on Sunday nights just as much as I did. I guess TV's just not a magical place anymore.

Tia 

No comments:

Post a Comment