Friday, September 3, 2010

Drift Away

There's something about fall-like weather that sets me adrift on memory bliss. Today I was thinking about Denise Kuhn. Denise was one of my best friends, who moved away when I was in grade 6. I remember being crushed because I was losing my buddy. We were fortunate however to keep in touch through our school years, and I was so excited that she came to my graduation. I remember sitting out in that farm yard with her at my grad party, under the light, in the cold, catching up for hours.

When I moved away to Calgary to start my adult life, we lost touch. She had a baby at a young age and I was trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up. One night when I was living with my Aunt Donna in Calgary, the phone rang, and it was Denise. She had called my dad to find out where I was and got my number. I was sitting in a dark room, at the kitchen table, catching up with my little buddy. She was coping with having a little baby and I was finding that the real world was not an easy one. Over the years she sent me pictures of her family, but eventually we lost touch again, with me moving all over the place.

Many times I wondered what happened to Denise Kuhn after that. Then along came Facebook and I found her. She's all grown up and the little girl she had when we were still in our teens is all grown up. And it makes me smile and still think of us when we were kids and life was so much simpler.

The moral of today's story: I don't forget anything about my friends, so blackmail is very easily accomplished. 

Tia

1 comment:

  1. Yay for blackmail! I have a friend to that I was able to reconnect with via facebook. It's been great, especially because my friend has a son the same age as mine, so they get to play together lots.

    ReplyDelete