Monday, October 4, 2010

Am I a Local?

What is it about a person's appearance that instigates another person to geographically profile where you are from without even knowing you?

A few weeks ago at the CCMA's in Edmonton I was riding the elevator with this woman who I struck up a conversation with pretty much as soon as she got in the elevator. Within 30 seconds, she asked me if I was from Alberta. We continued to chat as we walked through the lobby and out onto the street where we went our separate ways. As I continued on my way, I began to analyze the conversation and found it interesting that she asked if I was from Alberta. She could have asked if I was from Edmonton, or generically asked where I was from, yet she chose that specific question. Did I not look like I was from Alberta, and if so, what constitutes looking like you're not from there? I grew up in Alberta, so it's not like I dress like I'm from Europe. Do I have an accent? It was one of those things that made me go hmmmmm.

Then on Saturday I was hosting a Songwriter's workshop in Regina. During intermission, I struck up a conversation with a gentleman who again, within a minute of us talking, asked if I was a "local". Again, this made me raise my eyebrows with amusement. Yes I was there with a handful of Toronto people as guests, but among them, you'd think being from Saskatchewan, I would stand out as being from here. What defines the profile of a "local"? Apparently I don't fit the profile.

I'm going to assume I've assimilated a Hamilton accent and leave it at that. Otherwise I'm going to drive myself crazy trying to figure out why prairie people think that this prairie chicken isn't from here.

Tia
 

1 comment:

  1. I actually ask that question to people all the time at conferences, whether they look local or not. It's great to keep a conversation going because if the person is from there you can ask them advice on good places to go, and if they're not you can ask them about their city. But, then again, maybe the Toronto is just rubbing off on you and they think you're one of us now!

    ReplyDelete