Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Name Game

Tia is not a common name, I'll give you that. As to my namesake, my mother did like to dip into the Tia Maria every now and then, although I hope it was not when she was pregnant with me. That would explain a lot of things I suppose. The actual meaning however is this: Tia in Spanish means "Aunt". My middle name is Marie and I have an Aunt Marie. Are you doing the math here? I'm named after my Aunt Marie apparently.

If I had a name like Sara, or Emily, or Jen, perhaps people would get my name right more often. I have been called many names over the course of my life. When I was a kid, other kids would call me Pia. Yes, kids are cruel. Then there were certain associations of rhyming my name with diarrhea. Again, cruel world.

As an adult, the wrong names are at least kinder. I had a meeting once with a guy who for the first half hour until someone corrected him, called me Tracy. He was trying to sell himself to me to get me to utilize his business. Needless to say, his wrong name impression cost him dearly. I had a listener call me up one day and call me Lisa, which is the name of a morning show co-host on a competitors station in town. A record company person recently called me Rustie. A lesson in proof-reading your emails before you are "re-generating the same email template" to everyone on your list. Men often just call me Bud because Tia is apparently hard to comprehend. I feel very Urban Cowboy-ish. And the most common mis-step on my name: people who call me Tina. The name Tina (no offense) reminds me of freckle-faced Cabbage Patch dolls, which I detest. Please don't ever call me Tina. I thank you in advance.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment