Thursday, October 14, 2010

For your Consideration

Out of all our human capabilities, it's probably the easiest thing in the world to do - be considerate! Yet it amazes how many people are completely inconsiderate.

It happened to me yesterday and is probably one of my biggest pet peeves in the world, but I decided to actually gauge it a little bit for once. Don't you hate it when you're walking behind someone, approaching a door, they walk in, and don't even hold the door open for the person behind them, being you? How hard is it to hold a door open for two seconds for the person behind you? So over the course of this experiment, I found that only 1 of  3 people on average held the door open for others. Sad isn't it?

I've been accused of being annoyingly considerate, so I always hold the door open for the person behind me. Even if there's no one there, I always look back and check to be sure. Another interesting note from my experiment - many I encountered were a little surprised at having someone hold the door open for them. Have we become such a null and void society that we're surprised when someone does something nice for us?

Geographically if you go someplace like Toronto or Vancouver, don't expect many people to hold the door open for you. But here in Regina, where we're a little more in touch with our fellow man, I expected different. I'm disappointed.

Moral of the story, it's a small gesture, but it's a thoughtful one. Hold the door k?

Tia
 

No comments:

Post a Comment