Monday, October 18, 2010

Funny Boob Story

It's October, and everywhere you turn there's pink this and that as we honor Breast Cancer Awareness month. I've personally encountered this disease in more ways than I'd like. I have a couple of Aunts who are survivors, the mother of the family I lived with in high school is a survivor, and my mother is also a survivor.

I remember getting my mom's call with the news. I was living in what we called "Chat Towers" in Medicine Hat. It was a difficult phone call as you can imagine. I wanted her move her to the Hat where she could stay with me, I could take care of her, and there was a Cancer clinic there as well. She chose to stay in BC and weather it out there for her treatment.

Her treatment was a difficult one. She had a full mastectomy, which was very emotionally and mentally hard on her. You hear tales of how long it takes for a woman to take a look at herself in the mirror and feel good about herself. My mom was no exception. But in true Carol style that she's so typical of, she turned a serious situation into one of the funniest stories I've had the pleasure of telling.

After her mastectomy, she was put on a waiting list for an implant and she was eagerly awaiting the procedure. You know that excitement that kids have on Christmas Eve? That was her. But after waiting and waiting for what seemed forever, she was getting frustrated. So she did some investigating and found out some shocking news! The boob she had on order, that was supposed to be her boob, got lost! They lost her fake boob! And boy was she mad! As it turns out, there had been a mix up, and they'd given her boob to someone else by accident. She was so livid she wanted to go find this woman and demand she get her boob back. Yup, that's my mom! Eventually they replaced her boob, literally, and she was a happy camper again. When it comes to the seriousness of Breast Cancer, it saddens me a little because of my personal attachment to it, but then I think of my  mom putting out an APB on her boob, and it makes me smile. And her being a survivor, brings tears to my eyes. She's taken a lickin', and keeps on tickin'.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment