Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Cross Canada Adventure that Wasn't

A couple of weeks ago I had interviewed for a job in Moncton, New Brunswick. For the record off the top, I didn't get the job. It's always crushing when you don't get the gig, but I was also somewhat relieved.

In my anticipation (because I'm a planner), I had prematurely started to research things like cost of living, vacancy rates, etc. In that planning, I was also eyeing up my trusty map of Canada trying to figure out how long a move like that would take. My guest-imate was that it would be a 6 day drive via an all Canadian route. That could have been shorter, however, I was taking into consideration travelling with pets and the fact that you never know what will be brewing from mother nature. There is the alternate route through the states and back up, but if you're crossing the border with pets, you need proper paperwork and it's not guaranteed they won't make you make a trip to the vet once you get there.

I was also debating pulling a small U-haul with my VW or just selling all my stuff and going with a car load and starting over. Pulling the U-haul likely wouldn't have been so bad, but risky if you hit stormy or icy roads. Pack ratting everything into my car would have been challenging, then add in the cats, and it would have been just down right interesting. It also makes me wonder how stressful the trip would have been on them.

It's all hindsight however, and nothing I have to worry about for the time being. But had things been different, that certainly would have been my epic move of all moves in my radio career. Crazy huh?

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment