Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Retiring from Radio

Well it appears my 4-month vacation is coming to an end. Today I accepted the position of Member Services & Communications with the Sask Trucking Association here in Regina. No relocating – yayyyyy!

I’m extremely excited to be moving into a Communications role as my eventual goal was to transition into a PR or Communications job as I turned the corner into my fourties. As I said to someone the other day, it’s time to stop being all cool on the radio and start being an adult planning for a solid financial future some day. After all, not having kids, I don’t have anyone to pay for my seniors home do I?

I am sad in many ways to officially be retiring from my radio career. I worked my butt off for 20 years to get to where I was and wasn’t finished with where I wanted to go before someone decided I was no longer required. It’s like the carpet got pulled out from underneath me and there are many things I don’t have closure on. I’m also sad that I’ll miss talking to and hearing from listeners who’ve been so kind to me all these years in Regina and Moose Jaw. You are incredibly loyal and I’ve been blessed to have many of you as friends, even if it is just on Facebook. Keep being the wonderful people you are! To my fellow radio colleagues from all these years, it’s been a pleasure to work along side you and I wish you continued success. If I could offer any advice, it would be to have your back up plan ready to launch at any given time and a decent rainy day fund banked away. The industry is about to get very interesting over the next year or so. To my music friends who I’ve worked with all these years, some who’ve become great personal friends, it’s been a blast working this thing we call the music business together.  We all got into this crazy life because of music and we’ll always be music people no matter what.

I want to thank everyone for their support through this ride the last few months. Barb, Paul, Krista, Rob, Kim, Chari, my sister, Edward, Debra, and to everyone else for their on-going ears and advice. I’ve learned a lot about myself and my character this last little while. But I’ve also learned who my real friends were, and I’m lucky to have had such a strong support system surrounding me and propping me up.

So I have until April 2nd to continue to enjoy my time off. I think an official retirement party may be in order so we can all get schmammered together. This weekend I’m going to enjoy my rescheduled holiday to Toronto that got cancelled in November when my world came to a crashing halt. Upon my return it’ll be a little spring cleaning and then back to work I go!

Goodbye radio. Onwards and upwards ☺
Tia

4 comments:

  1. Tia, you were awesome to deal with when I was at Kids Help Phone and Canadian Blood Services. It has and will be weird not hearing you on the radio anymore.

    Good luck with your new gig!

    Carlo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carlo! It was a pleasure and awesome to work with you as well! Hope all is well :)
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No complaints,

      My job at the U of R is going awesome - give me a call if the Trucking Association ever needs a Co-op student. I also got engaged in February!

      Delete
  3. Hey congrats! I wish you and your lucky gal all the best on the path to matrimony :) And yes, if we're ever in need of a student I'll track you down!

    ReplyDelete