Monday, March 5, 2012

The Mystery Jakki Cup



Yesterday I posted this picture and asked "what is the significance of this cup?". Although some interesting guesses, no one quite hit it on the head. Unless you remember my radio days from Lethbridge, it was almost an impossible question. 

In about 2000 I believe it was, I had accepted a morning show co-host position at Country 95 in Lethbridge. I was excited for new opportunities and to be heading back to Alberta. Once I got there to start the job however, the PD threw a little surprise at me after I had signed the paperwork. His words were something to the effect of "by the way, your name on air is going to be Jacqui Daniels". 

I'm sure my jaw was sitting on the floor. Jacqui Daniels? Really?? It sounded like something that you'd read in the credits of an adult film. They thought it sounded more country though. Not to mention it's very difficult to suddenly start calling yourself by another name after how many years of being a Tia. 

I hated it, there was no denying it. But I thought that if they weren't going to give me the choice of what name I went by, then at least I'd damn well spell it the way I wanted to. So it became Jakki instead. The cup is from a staff event held for us by Champs Lounge, which specifically asked for correct spelling of everyone's name. I got the last laugh after all. 

And now you know the rest of the story. 
Tia 

No comments:

Post a Comment