Monday, January 10, 2011

Osgood Did Good

This time of year always reminds me of my first semester of college. My dad drove me to Medicine Hat with a pick up truck loaded up with all my worldly possessions, which could have fit in a Toyota Corolla truthfully. We checked into the Resident Advisor's office, paid our fees, got our keys and went to our rez building.

As soon as we opened the door, we were hit with a draft of hot air. Apparently the rez advisor (whose name was Simon if I remember correctly) was checking houses over the holidays. Ours must have been a little cool, so he turned the heat up. All the way up and then forgot to go back and turn it back down! It was so hot in that place, that without a word of a lie, I can tell you that even the frozen foods in the freezer were melted.

My poor room-mates came home expecting a Chinese room-mate. They expressed happiness I was not. But they had quite the mess of melted food to clean up thanks to a dumb boy.

Aside from that hiccup, living in that rez was one of the best times of my life. I met one of my best friends from Saskatchewan who ironically now lives 45 minutes north of my hometown in Alberta. I dated a volleyball player from the Rattlers, which apparently was kind of a big deal. Although he turned out to be a nerd. And I met a future NHL'er  before he was famous.

We had been out to the club (Mario's was the hot spot then) and ended up bringing a little party back to our rez. One of the guys there was this hot shot that played for the Tigers. He was pretty lit up and decided he was going to hit on my room-mate all night. I'm not sure her interest level, because she left him passed out on our living room floor. When we woke up he was gone though. Apparently he had walked from the college area, very poorly dressed for the blizzard that day, likely hungover, all the way up to the Crescent Heights area where he lived.

That's how I'll always remember Chris Osgood. I guess even though he struck out with the ladies that night, who am I to judge? Because he's now of course a millionaire playing in the NHL.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment