Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hoarder or Minimalist?

Someone asked me last night if I've ever watched Hoarders. I have, but I don't think I've made it through an entire show. I just can't stomach the sight of those people's houses, therefore I can't say the show is anywhere on my must-see list.

Personally I'm a minimalist. The less the better. In part because I'm in radio, which is much like being a military brat. There are many moves, and these moves often happen within a matter of weeks. Besides, who likes packing? It's for the birds I say.

People also find it strange when they come to my house that for someone who takes as many pictures as I do, I don't have any pictures on my walls or shelves. I find pictures create an allure of clutter (I'm slightly OCD'ish and hate clutter) and let's face it, if you're moving, they're something else to pack right? Plus, in this day and age of Facebook, you can see all my pictures in one place, with one click. What else do you need?

Each of us though, probably has some element of hoarder in us. As I was cleaning today, I came to the conclusion that I'm a bill hoarder. I seem to have bills from 2 years ago that for whatever reason, I feel the need to hold onto. With identity theft and security issues nowadays, throwing anything into the garbage puts a person at risk. I used to just take them to work and shred them, but that takes forever, and I don't have a job now ha! I'll likely take a big bag of stuff out to my sister's farm the next time I go and ask to borrow her burning barrel. Maybe that's a great entrepreneurial idea! Start an incinerator business that people can pay to burn their private material. No bodies though, that would be a strict rule. Some days I'm a genius.

So, what is your element of hoarding? Fess up, it's ok. I did. It's the first step to recovery remember.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment