Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Dumb Phone

The other night while watching TV for a cell phone brand, they referred to them as "super phones". This seems to have gone away from the trend of "smart phones" which I find interesting. Perhaps the term smart phones is so overused that if you're branding a new product, lumping it into the smart phones category does nothing for it. I get that.

At the end of the day, I still own my "dumb phone". I was backstage at the Craven Country Jamboree a couple of years ago talking to John from the Higgins and made reference to my "dumb phone". He thought that was the funniest thing in the world and had never heard it before.

What is a dumb phone? It's just that! It's not a super phone, nor is it a smart phone. It's a simple phone that calls and receives calls, has a qwerty keyboard for texting, is mobile browser friendly, has a somewhat grainy camera, and also had additional bonuses like a calculator, notepad and a clock that I can set to different time zones. There are none of the bells and whistles of apps, Siri, BBM, HD cameras and videos or face calling. Just a plain ol' phone. My beloved dumb phone that has never let me down and serves its purpose for what I need a phone to do.

Many people scoff at my simpleton ways and say "why don't you get with the times?". I will some day, just not today. I remember at one point thinking I'd like to get a Blackberry, but EVERYONE at that time had Blackberry and did I want to be just like them? No. So I thought I'd hold out till SaskTel was equipped for the evolution of iPhone. They've reached that point and now EVERYONE has an iPhone, and I'm not sure I want to be like them now either.

I'll ride it out with my dumb phone until I find something else that I like. There's a funny catch to this story though. Remember me blogging not that long ago about how my sister and I always had the same things when we were kids? Well back in the fall she asked me if I could go pick up a cell she'd bought from a guy on Used Regina. When I got there to pick it up, you better believe it, turns out my sister unknowingly had bought the exact same dumb phone I had! Apparently we're sisters to the core.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment