Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Travel Bug

I would probably be a much richer person if I didn't always have the travel bug. It's the reason my visa is dying a slow death and why I can replicate a good security pat down.

It all started when I turned 30. I decided that year that life was too short and I had seen very little outside of Alberta or Saskatchewan. It became my life's mission to take a trip somewhere each year where I'd never been before. My first destination was San Fransisco! Well South San Fransisco. Apparently they're different cities. Little did I know this when I booked my hotel is South San Fran. Luckily there was a lovely bus route right by my hotel that accounted for about 40 minutes of my day each way.

Since then I've been to Jacksonville in Florida, Jekkyl Island and Savannah in Georgia, Corpus Christie and South Padre Island in Texas, New Orleans, Vancouver, Toronto and even Winnipeg. This summer if all goes well and I don't get fired, laid off or go broke, I'm hoping to go to the Carolinas.

I've learned a lot of tricks over the years and mastered travel for a week with only one small suitcase. The first few years I actually packed only a backpack of stuff and was on my way. But then luggage with wheels came along and seemed like a fabulous idea so I went astray like the rest of the world. I've also come to expect that I'll likely be one of those people pulled aside and questioned at the border. I just have the gypsy look or something. Although I have yet to have a full cavity search, knock on wood.

My advice though, if you have the means to travel, do! It's relaxing, interesting, enriching, and breathing the air somewhere else just makes you a better person. One thing I'd suggest though, is try to truly appreciate your surroundings. I went to Europe when I was in grade 12, and although cool, I didn't appreciate that experience the way I should have. Now, I wish I could go back and make good on that.

Tia
 

No comments:

Post a Comment