Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Produce Department

The other day I was at the grocery store and started my adventure in the produce department to get some bananas. There was an older woman in her 60's or 70's getting a bunch of bananas which is what I was hoping to do as well. However, the selection was pretty lack lustre so I moved on banana-less. But I noticed she seemed to be fumbling with the plastic bags, although I thought she would be fine.

I moved over to the bakery section and eyed up some bread while still keeping an eye on her, and watching her still seem to be having some problems in getting the produce bag open. Again, I thought she'd surely be good to go pretty soon.

I mozied over to the deli section and looked back again to see if she had mastered her problem yet, but sadly she hadn't. Part of me thought it would make her feel uncomfortable if I went over to ask if she needed help, but by now 5 min had passed at least and she was still having issues.

I could have moved on, but decided to circle back and pretend I was eyeing up the bananas again. As I glanced over I could see her hands were that of someone who was hampered by arthritis, and she just couldn't get her fingers planted firmly enough to get that plastic bag open. Just as I turned to her to offer to help, she turned to me and said "I'm having troubles here" indicating she wanted help. I smiled, took the bag from her, rubbed the edges between my fingers and opened it up for her no problem and said "these darn bags are always so sticky and tricky," and handed it back to her. She quietly laughed this little laugh and thanked me.

Here was something that was so simple to me, yet so difficult to her. It was really a moment of revelation about perspective. All the things we take for granted about our abilities or potential that someone else physically can't do. I just hope someday when I'm 65 and struggling to get one of those stupid plastic produce bags open, that someone's kind enough to take the time and stop and help me too.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment