Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Loyalty Gets you Everywhere

I've been very lucky to have some amazing mentors over the course of my 20 year career. They taught me a lot about logistics, planning, problem solving, mechanics etc. But something no one can teach, but can exhibit by leading by example, is how to build loyalty.

To be able to build loyalty is an amazing tool to have in your deck of cards. To be loyal is a strength those above and around you admire. When you don't have loyalty, you shouldn't be in a leader's chair.

As a manager, it's important to me that everyone who works for me is a human being, not a slave. Consideration of their time, family, schedule and life in general is a code I try to abide by. I don't care if they're on the bottom of the totem pole and they only make $10 an hour. They're no less a person than I am. And as a manager, I try to be friends with my employees as well.You do have to be careful about friendships, and there's an art to where you draw the line, but it can be done.

I'm very lucky to have a great team of ladies who work for me. Most of my street team crew have been with me for at least 2 years. Jen, the vet, has been with me since we launched the station almost 3 years ago. These girls don't make a fortune, they often attend things that aren't always the most exciting to be at, and there's some pretty nasty stuff they put up with being the face we send out on the street. But they're a loyal bunch. I have girls who offer to take sick days or use their vacation days from their full time jobs so they can come work a filler last minute shift for me. I always have someone who puts their hand up when I'm in dire straits. And if I personally ever needed anything, I'm sure I could ask for their help. I've even had one of my girls say that when I leave, she leaves.

If only I could win the fight to get them a raise, I'd be happy. I'll keep trying, but until then, I'll just tell everyone how amazing they are instead and always be grateful for their loyalty.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment