Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I Get it Now

My sister and I are 3 years apart in age, and when we were little, we looked a lot alike. In fact, I've heard people say we looked like twins, just not identical. Because we looked so much alike, one of my biggest pet peeves when were were kids is that we'd always get the same gift at Christmas, just in a different colour. If I got green mitts, my sister got the same ones, only in red. If I got a brown comforter, my sister got the very same one, only in blue. If I got undies, she'd get the exact same ones, only in pink. That's pretty much how our entire childhood was.

After a week and a bit of babysitting, I understand now why that was the case. The psychology of it seems to be if one kid gets something different than the other and that "other" thing looks like more fun or can be used as a trigger, then there will be many fights, crying and pouting. But if they both have the same thing, well where's the fun and manipulation in that for a kid?!?! Then they simply behave and play with their toy or item.

It all makes perfect sense now.

Tia

No comments:

Post a Comment